Thursday 11 June 2009

‘I can’t be bothered!’ - Is it OK to say that?

So here I am, a coach, helping people to be motivated, focussed and clear in what they want to be and do. I love it.

But yesterday (one of my ‘mum’ days - not a work day), I woke up and thought to myself ‘I just can’t be bothered with all the things that I’ve got to do today’.

Did I feel guilty about it? Well yes, initially, for a fleeting moment I had a pang of ‘but come on, you’re procrastinating, what’s beneath that, what can you do to change that’ etc etc. All good stuff. It normally keeps me right on track in achieving what I want to achieve and understanding how I tick. Yesterday however I chose to take a different approach….

After that tiny ‘pang’ my second thought was ‘Grab it, go with it, and give yourself a day off!’

And so I did. I shamelessly didn’t check my email (well maybe only once!), I didn’t do any domestic stuff, I didn’t speak to anyone on the phone unless I could possibly avoid it, I didn’t EVEN prepare a decent meal for the family. We played, we snuggled up on the sofa and watched FAR too much TV. We ate quick fix food and (lovely) unhealthy snacks, and we made a mess all day and didn’t clear it up.

… what’s that noise? Can I hear many mothers around the world giving a sharp intake of breath?! Or is it all the disapproving frowns I can feel making waves across land?!

Well guess what?…… I can categorically say, that I don’t give a toss!

Did the world come to an end that day? Have I damaged my children for life just by letting them eat some junk food? Did the house crumble to the ground from being mistreated in such a brazen fashion?……

NO – AND IT FELT GREAT! :-)

Now, of course I’m not saying that this is how it’s going to be for me everyday. I am turning my back on all my responsibilities as a mum and a good ‘housewife’. All I’m saying is that I did it, I didn’t feel guilty about, my children LOVED it and so I will definitely be doing it again at some point… and I can’t wait!!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read this-my children are now 14 and nearly 8 and I sometimes do this, for example my husband works away a lot which has just started a few months ago and he hates eating in the living room. One day a few weeks ago, after a really hectic session after school of running kids here and there we got a McDonalds ( I am a nutrition consultant so this makes it worse!) and sat and ate it in front of the TV with no plates/cutlery - and it was great!! Make the most of your children when they are little as they grow up fast- good for you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you - I love days like this!!! In fact I remember on one occassion I had a day like this then was called out unexpectantly and had to ring my husband to explain that if he got home before us we hadn't actually been burgled we had just been having lots of fun and I hadn't tidied up!!!!

    ReplyDelete